D.C. French and Edward Hopper created the Progress of the State,
known better as Quadriga. This sculpture is located on the roof
of the Minnesota capital in St. Paul Minnesota.
It is dated back to circa 1912 and is composed of 23 karat gold
leaf gilded copper.
This project is both complicated and made more interesting by
the regular visits of guided tours to the Minnesota capital roof.
It involved an investigative treatment to repair the corrosion damage
that had surfaced since the last conservation treatment in 1995.
The Jensen team started with test panels using different primers
and top coats, then proceeded to regild the sculpture one section
at at time. Their goal is to stabilize the entire composition by
scheduling annual maintenance care.
View from Behind Sculpture
See a closeup of this
View of Capital
with Quadriga on roof
of Minnesota Capital